Detect Your Carbon Monoxide Before It Is Too Late

Preventing Carbon Monoxide at Home

Poisonous gasses can be a serious threat because they go unnoticed until they have already caused significant problems. Carbon monoxide and other poisonous gasses can cause severe health issues in children and adults. Statistics show that approximately 170 per year die in the United States from carbon monoxide poisoning. This makes it important to be aware of carbon monoxide and other poisons in your home.

Consumer products can often be the source of carbon monoxide in any home. When a home appliance or product malfunctions, it can produce poisonous gas very suddenly. This includes appliances like furnaces, water heaters, space heaters, generators and more. Unfortunately it is not unusual for these appliances to malfunction.

To avoid poisonous gas from these products, make sure they are installed and used correctly at all times. Thoroughly read the instructions and warranties that come with these items. Do not try to install any home heating or cooling systems unless you are extremely familiar with the process. Instead, hire a professional to assist you.

If you notice any of these appliances are not working properly, then make sure to take action. Ignoring the problem could lead to big consequences. If an appliance is out of warranty, you may want to consider replacing it. If this is not doable, look into getting repairs done as soon as possible.

Fireplaces are another source of carbon monoxides in the home. If you have a fireplace, you can take simple steps to prevent poisonous gasses from filing your home. Make sure that your chimney is in working order. Also make sure to have it cleaned on a regular basis. This helps ventilation and reduces the impact of gasses.

If you do not already have them, invest in gas detectors for your home. These devices can be found online or in hardware stores. They measure levels of different poisonous gasses, and set off an alarm if gas is present. This is the best way to avoid problems related to gas leaks. Make sure to carefully follow usage instructions so the detectors are in working order.

No matter how many preventative measures you take, there is always a possibility of a gas leak in your home. Be aware of the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. When you familiarize yourself with the symptoms, you will notice them more quickly. Take action immediately and go to an emergency room if you suspect you or a loved one has gas poisoning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *